Sunday, August 12, 2007

Why I love Thursday Next novels

I am in the middle of the latest Thursday Next novel, First Among Sequels. For the uninitiated amongst us, Thursday is the heroine of a series of novels by Jasper Fforde.

They are kind of what would happen if Monty Python and the literature sections of your local book store had a series of love children. :)

I am loving this book, and have only torn myself away from it to prep for the work tomorrow (*sigh* work is stressful at the moment) and to make myself some more dhal for dinner.

Why do I love this book? So far it has time travel, travel within the world of literary fiction (the actually world that all novels exist within and all the things that the characters do when the story isn't happening to them), a ghost of an eccentric uncle, a reimagined husband, a mathematics genius teenager, cheese smuggling and knitting for naked dodos. And I'm only about a third of the way in.

See? My equal-favourite heroine knits. And I just know that the other (Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice) would too..

What does it say that some of my all-time favourite books are about books? (Another is The Club Dumas. Which is about as far away from this series as it is possible to get and still be fiction.)

Okay. Stalling over. Must go prep for tomorrow's training presentation :(