Saturday, November 15, 2008

Things I love...

Some of you might have noticed the impending holiday season. (40 days left)

Well, this year (unlike many) I am feeling more than usually prepared.

There are many things that have been recently finished around my house (in prep for Christmas) that I love.

One of these my Dad and Stepmum did - our new, huge and ultimately fabulous outdoor decking. Let me show it off...
And, notice the wonderful inset pond, that makes the whole thing flow into the garden... beautiful!
(It is huge - about 8 m by 4m in size!)

Things that I have actually done...

Finished my MIL-to-be's shawlette. Which I am very happy with.
And the action shot... (I tried for a front-ways one, but you can't see much of it and the photo was way to contrast-y to post.)
I think it's pretty, and a nice size. If I made another as a shawlette, the only thing I'd do differently is add another pair of repeats so it came over the front more. But lovely still.

From here, its a lot less knitting and more sewing. I'm making a swag of aprons for family for Christmas. But, for this weekend, and probably next weekend... curtains.

Our living area and spare room have no window coverings bar paper (We've been here a year, but the money wasn't really there). And we didn't want another summer without proper window coverings. So, we did the deal and bought curtains. Or more to the point, I bought tracks, hooks and lots of fabric. Custom made curtains were way, way out of budget. And I have a discount cards for textile traders and spotlight.

So I have several piles like the one below in my future. And a big roll of heavier blockout fabric. Sigh. I keep telling myself that prefect rectangles etc. don't matter too much, and that noone is going to score me on hemming of curtains. However, I'm such a perfectionist, it takes real effort not to beat myself up over stuff like this.
Photos when I'm done.