Saturday, August 04, 2007

Clementine was right.


I should have known better. I mean, questioning the great Clementine?

She was quite correct, the lovely hand dyed my mum made for me is lost in the Baudelaires pattern.

But, I am what I am, and I needed to see it for myself. And now I know that when next picking a self-gift yarn I shall buy some yummy Zarina to knit a real pair. (In green. I'm on a green bent at the moment.) Both yarn and pattern are nice. But not together. Like friends you like separately, but could never date.

It's the same "thoroughness" in me (my man's description) that meant today, when selecting carpet for the new house I dragged the sample :
  • under halogens
  • under florescent lighting
  • in natural daylight
  • next to the wood for the hallway
  • looked at it up close/underfoot
  • looked at it from several meters away...
But now I know it will definitely work. (Or not, as in the case of the yarn). So the pattern will be ripped back and started over. It actually doesn't bother me. I have peace of mind.

I'm also fighting the desire to photograph every ball of yarn in my stash for Ravelry (I'm spiderknit. Naturally.) And hunting through it for potential baby knit-for-gift yarns. I know what I want to knit. But the called for yarn is pricey and not in the colour I originally had in mind. I ponder. But can't for too long - baby coming y'know.