Thursday, July 03, 2008

Warning : Unrelated-to-knitting content. A letter to my mentor.

Okay, this is an out of the ordinary thing. I don't even know if I will send him this link or not, but I feel like I want to get this out there.

Tomorrow, Friday, a man I greatly respect is retiring. This man was instrumental in my career and I am very, very grateful to him.

I'd write his name, but I don't have his permission to put it up, so I won't.

But I like the idea that my gratitude be out there in the ether of the web, spreading good vibes about him, because he so very much deserves them.

I have a small gift for him, that I will give him tomorrow. And this letter, which I will also post below.

Cheers. Next post will be back to the knitting, promise.

Hello,

I’ve thought a lot about this, and am still not entirely sure what to write.

Mostly, what I need to say is simple, but terribly important.

Thank you.

I am incredibly grateful for all of the support, and guidance you have given me over the years I have known you. I know, absolutely and in truth, that I would not be where I am today without your help, knowledge, guidance and encouragement.

Through you I have learned to read what people are really seeking as well as what they say. How to suggest a new way of doing things without telling the client they have been doing it wrong. How to weather office politics with decorum and self-respect. How to moderate my extremes and still be true to myself and what I believe in. How to better pick which battles are worth fighting and which will just cause you grief later. How to get clients on side. How to teach without being didactic. And, hopefully, as I now take on my own management responsibilities – how to be a manager while respecting what your people bring to their work.

It was an honour and pleasure to have worked with you.

I wish you all the very best life has to offer.

Sincerely,

Me.