Sunday, September 10, 2006

Fitzwilliam gets a scarf

Well, the socks are nearly done.

I have an admission to make.

Despite good progress .... the socks are different sizes. Not hugely so, and the both fit, but the second sock is slightly larger. (It actually fits a little better I think). I think my gauge is loosening up as I get the hang of knitting continental style.

Anyway, I considered ripping something out, and redoing it. But considering the work already done, the fact I've reknit both heels twice for different stuff ups, I made an executive decision.

I DON'T CARE. They are both function, the differences are not catastrophic, and I shall live with it. I dare not get silly about it as they are, after all, socks. They will forgive me.

Since the socks are nearly done, my head turned to my next project.

Uh, that'd be Fitzwilliam's birthday present. I usually get him books. But since he's effectively giving himself half a library for his birthday, that was a bust. I considered a range of things and then gave in and did the pragmatic thing.

I asked him.

Thankfully, he seems fairly pleased with the suggestion, so that was fine.

Thus, a grey aran-type cabled scarf.

I tried out a few variations and eventually decided on one. The yarn is Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed. It's got a bit of silk and cashmere mixed in with wool, and thus feels luscious. The tweed yarn is really very different in texture from the straight (no puns intended) Silkroad, which I used in the Ultra (bulky 16ply) version for my Skully jumper. Which is gorgeous.

Anyway, Fitzwilliam, being both my best mate (and in this case, effectively family) and someone who actually takes care of his clothes, gets the nice Silk/Cashmere/wool mix. Other people who may be family but less likely to appreciate and take care of things I knit get smaller stuff in machine washable blends. :)

It's turning out nicely anyway. It's actually so tweedy, I was worried the cables wouldn't show, but they seem to be coming along nicely now. Let's hope he likes it!

p.s. sorry you can't see the cables too well in the photo - you can see them fine in person :(