Thursday, July 27, 2006

Slapped down by the knitting gods

Oh god.

Last night I felt so sick about it, I didn't even post the misery.

I am on a tight time schedule, as I am flying out interstate on Saturday. I REALLY want to take the cardigan with me, nay, I need it to go over a dress for a formal thing I have.

Last night I seamed up the body of the cardigan and the lace edging (ie everything bar the sleeves). As I packed it away, I noticed something was not quite right.

After much examination, I realised what it was.

I seamed the back panel inside out.

It was easy to miss, the different is subtle. So subtle, I could have left it you say?

Possibly. I considered it. Seaming it had taken my whole evening. I went to bed, feeling quite sick at the thought. I didn't even know if you could
unseamed Rowan Kidsilk Haze lace.

I slept on it and woke obsessing over the mistake. I didn't know how I was going to get through a whole work day worrying about whether I'd be able to fix it or whether it was ruined forever.

Then. Brief moment of hope. I got up early, got ready in record time and sat down with it and a cup of coffee.

It's apart again. It's painstaking. I stopped every time to make sure I was only pulling on the seam thread, and not the lace. But it's done. I can seam it over again now.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll do a tutorial on un-seaming lace mohair. But not today, today is just mixed unwellness and relief.